Meatballs are a new-found favorite in our house. All three kids love them and I think they are pretty tasty too. This recipe calls for sausage along with the turkey and I have found some intersting chicken sausage with different flavors. Make sure that you don’t buy cooked sausages. You can also get it out of it’s casing sometimes at the deli at your grocery store.
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa, Back to Basics
3/4 pound ground chicken or ground turkey
1/2 pound chicken sausage, casings removed (I found a chicken sausage with peppers, carrots and seasonings – it adds great flavor to your meatballs.)
2/3 cup fine bread crumbs
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup Italian cheese, grated (parmesan, pecorino, asiago and you can use a combination of cheese as well)
3 tbsp. milk
1 large egg, slightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
Makes about 30 meatballs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together.
3. Using your hands, make teaspoon sized balls and drop onto a greased baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I make mine a bit smaller so that they are easier for the kids to eat.
4. Cook for 30 minutes (a little less if your meat balls are smaller) until lightly browned and cooked through.
5. Serve in your favorite stew or pasta sauce. Once they cool you can add them to a ziploc bag and freeze.