Adapted from Janine Smith (my mom)
Salad nicoise is one of my favorite salads. I have given it versatility by serving it with chicken, shrimp, salmon, and of course, Tuna. The only problem is that mixed all together my kids will turn up their noses at this delicious filling salad. I found a way to serve the salad for my husband and me, and also give the kids a healthy meal without making two fully separate meals. I serve the kids all the ingredients without the lettuce and/ or dressing – depending on what they like. Then we are all happy and healthy! Most of this salad/ dinner you can make in advance because it is usually served at room temperature.
2 tuna steaks, 1 lb salmon, ½ chicken (whatever meat you decide to use)
mixed baby greens
1 lb green beans, ends snipped
½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
6 eggs, hardboiled and quartered
8 red new potatoes (or whatever kind of potato you have on hand), quartered
kalamata olives, pitted
avocado (optional), sliced
oil and vinegar dressing (Paul Newman makes a great oil and vinegar if you aren’t up for making your own dressing)
1. Bring water to a boil. Add a sprinkle of salt and add green beans. Return water to boil and cook until green beans are just tender – about 7 minutes. Strain and run under cool water or into ice water to stop the cooking.
2. Cook the eggs – to hard-boil them – put eggs in pot that accommodates them easily. Fill with water until the eggs are fully submerged. Boil for 20 minutes. (Eggs are also a great snack to throw in the lunch boxes!)
3. Cook the potatoes – boil until pierced easily with a fork – about 20 minutes on a high boil. Make sure not to overcook the potatoes –they are best in this salad when they are firm.
1. Wash lettuce and place in a large platter.
2. Around the edges of the platter place tomatoes, eggs, potatoes, olives, avocados if using, and green beans.
3. Meanwhile cook tuna steaks until they reach proper temperature.
4. Add the fish to the top of the salad.
5. Allow kids to serve themselves the items they want from the salad (it will turn out to be a healthy meal! – fish, potatoes, green beans, eggs, avocado)
6. Toss with oil and vinegar and enjoy!