It’s too hot to heat up the kitchen(and this salad was gone before I could photograph it)! Get out your trusty rice cooker (if you have one) and make this delicious brown rice salad. This hearty rice salad is adapted from a recipe in the magazine A Taste of Home. It is delicious paired with a piece of grilled fish or chicken. I love curry and this was a great taste of sweet and spicy. Probably not for most kids – but something to try for the grown-ups! You can alter the recipe for the kids by serving their rice and vegetables separately! This is a great make ahead salad because it is served cold. Make it at lunch and eat it for dinner or take this salad on your next picnic!
Curry Brown Rice Salad
Adapted from A Taste of Home Magazine
6 cups cooked brown rice, cooled (this is where a rice cooker comes in handy)
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup cranberries
1 sweet pepper, red, yellow or orange – though red makes the best statement against the orange carrots
3 green onions, sliced thinly on a diagonal
1/2 cup mango chutney (or more)
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garam masala (this is an Indian spice that you can find at most grocery stores – even Target)
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 medium apple
1 cup cashews, roughly chopped
1. In a large bowl combine rice, carrots, cranberries, peppers and onions.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the chutney, oil, vinegar, curry, salt and garam masala. It won’t seem like much – but the flavor will mix well into the rice, especially after it sits for a little while.
3. Pour the liquid ingredients over the rice mixture and stir well. Refrigerate for several hours.
4. Just before serving, add the spinach, apples and cashews.
5. Serve with grilled chicken, salmon or skirt steak.